Monday, June 8, 2015

Sweet Memory Quilt

I made a quilt a while back that honestly....really sucked to make. It's not that I didn't want to, but it was a sad quilt. A very young boy in our community died last year. Some of his classmates are the children of people I went to school with. They contacted me to work together to make a memory quilt for his family. 
They wanted it to be a good project for the kids, and something sweet for the family. Of course, I agreed.

The students and the teachers each made a block. The students had a picture of him, and each drew his portrait on white cotton. They collected the pictures and sent them to be to be made into a quilt.


To keep the focus on the pictures, I added simple gingham sashing between the blocks, and used the same gingham for the backing.


My favorite binding was used, a small black and white stripe to make a perfect framework.


The quilting was done in an all over meandering pattern, to mimic the look of puzzle pieces. I didn't quilt over the individual pictures so there wouldn't be anything distracting from them.


It was so adorable looking at each picture the kids drew. 


They're very talented at such a young age, and their interpretation of their friend was so neat.


I was sad to have to make the quilt, but I'm glad I got to be a part of this special memory for the students and the family.




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...