Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Flying Geese

It was time for a new table runner. I'm still cleaning out my scrap bin and refusing to  buy new fabric this year for small projects. We have a lot of teal in our living room, so I wanted to use some of those scraps to make us a new runner for our TV stand. 

This was my first attempt at making "flying geese" blocks. After doing the math and cutting of the fabric, the piecing was actually much easier than expected. I don't think I'd want to do a whole quilt this way, but it made a nice border.

I arranged them to be "flying" around the border of my table runner. I made sure to throw a few orange geese in there too for a pop of color.


Most of the middle is covered by the TV base, but I quilted it with rows of straight lines, close together. I also quilted in the ditch of a few of the geese to hold everything together for when it gets washed.


The backing was another large scrap piece, from my Modern Herringbone Quilt. I love it, so I hate that it's now hiding on the back.


The orange and white striped binding added that last pop of color I needed. Sometimes having lots of patchwork and quilted items can make a house feel "old"... but if you make them in a modern color palette, with clean lines and patterns, they can look great in a modern home!


It's now happily resting under my TV!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...