Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The BIG Girl Room

 

Although I am in total denial that my tiny, tiny little girl will  be THREE next week, Hubby and I still decided it was time for her to have her very own BIG GIRL ROOM!
 
She has been in a toddler bed, and does great staying in her own bed at night. Although she would fit in that bed for a long time still, we wanted her to have a room to make her feel super special.
 
You may have seen this little preview before Here.
 



I've finally gotten all of the pictures off of my camera to share how we put her room together.
 
In an effort to ward off my daughter ever liking the color pink, we painted her nursery navy blue, and accented it with lime green and white. It was girly, without a touch of pink.
 
Three years later, I've lost the war and her favorite color of everything is PINK. Yuck. So to compromise, we left the walls navy blue, and added lots of pink accents to make the room modern and fun for a three year old.
 
 
We bought the pink and white polka dot duvet cover from Pottery Barn Teen. The teen store had much brighter colors than the kids store, which was more suitable for baby girl.
 
I wanted to sew the accent pillows in all different patterns. I used fabrics from the "In the Navy" line by Jacqueline Savage McFee from Hawthorne Threads. There are some beautiful selections of pinks and navy in that line!
 

One of my favorite pillows is the Pebble Quilted pillow. I took a scrap piece of pink fabric, pebble quilted it, and made it into a pillow. The texture is fabulous and looks really cool on the bed!


My second favorite pillow has to be the chevron pom-pom pillow! The pom-poms add a really girly touch, and who doesn't love chevron??
(Okay, a lot of people are tired of chevron, but I'm not yet!)


The bedding is approved by Gray's friend Duffy.

 
The super-pink quilt I made her for Christmas fits perfectly on the end of the bed. As if the bed needed more pink.
 

My Grandma gave me a small sewing table a couple of years ago. I sewed all of my early projects on this table. The chair it came with had a cushion covered in red gingham. It was cute, but not at all for this room. We've moved the table into her room to be a play table, so the cushion had to be recovered! I love how it turned out.


The nursery had a memory board, but it was green. Some new fabric, and sparkly silver ribbons made it perfect for the big girl room. Sadly I had to update pictures too.
 

The door needed to say "GIRL'S ROOM", so I dug through my craft supplies and found some tulle, ribbon and a foam wreath. About 30 minutes later, the Tutu wreath was hanging on the door.
Hubby says it's weird, but I like it, and Gray does too.

 
On the nightstand we put a vase of flowers from her first birthday photo shoot. There is also a palmetto rose from our trip to Charleston last year. I made her monogram on my Silhouette with scrapbook paper, and made a printable for a small frame.

 
The room is very bright with natural light thanks to light pink curtains.

 
Of course, every proper southern girl needs a bow holder. This is one of several!

 
I managed to make it through the room redo without a total meltdown, but I'm still freaking out that 3 years has already gone by. She loves her new room, and so do we.

 
It's perfect for a pink-loving little (BIG) girl.
 

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...