Thursday, June 13, 2013

Freezer Cooking

It was time for round two of my freezer cooking. The first round of meals went great. They were easy to thaw and throw in the crock pot or skillet, and supper was ready in no time without the messy chopping and cleaning food first.

Devoting a couple of hours to chopping and cleaning every month, making MANY bags of prepared meals saves so much time in the kitchen when it comes to preparing meals for your family. I personally hate washing dishes, so knowing I only have to scrub cutting boards and knives one time for all of these meals makes me super happy.
 
I'm including a couple of the recipes I use for my freezer bags. These are just a few of our favorites. The ingredients can be altered any way you like to make the perfect meals for your family.
 
I always do my bags assembly line style. I chop all of my meat and veggies and sort it into large bowls. Then I label my bags with what meal it is, and whatever needs to be added before cooking. Also add the date, so you can keep track of how long it's been in your freezer.
 
 I throw my meat in the bags first to make sure there's an even amount in each one.

 
Then I throw in handfuls of veggies, add the sauces and spices, and seal the bags up.
 
Freeze them flat to take up less room in your freezer.


If you've ever gotten a recipe from a southern cook, you know that measurements are less than scientific. These measurements are not exact, just estimates of what I might have used. The ingredients, however, are correct.
 

Barbeque Chicken

2lbs chicken (legs, thighs, breasts)
1 tbsp minced garlic
handful of carrots
handful of onions
1/2 bottle barbecue sauce (your favorite flavor)
*I add some brown sugar to mine to make it sweeter*
Thaw the bag and cook in the slow cooker 4-6 hours



White Chili

1lb chicken, cubed
2 cans white beans
1/2 can Rotel (tomatoes and chilis)
1 package of white chili seasoning
*thaw and place in slow cooker. Add 1 can of chicken stock before cooking*
Cook in slow cooker 4-6 hours



Pot Roast

2lbs beef pot roast
2 handfuls of potatoes, cubed
handful of carrots
handful of onions
1tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp of your favorite beef rub/seasoning.
*Thaw and place in slow cooker. Add 1 cup water or beef stock before cooking*
Cook in slow cooker 4-6 hours



Honey Chicken

2lbs chicken breast
1 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup brown sugar
handful of onions
handful of broccoli (I use frozen broccoli)
Cook in slow cooker 4-6 hours


*I usually start my meals on high for a couple of hours, then turn the heat down to low until we are ready to eat. After 4-6 hours our food is always cooked through and tender. Larger pieces of meat will take longer, or more time on High heat to be ready to eat.


1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! When crazy busy work season comes into play, this would be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...