Wednesday, June 29, 2011

What I Wish I Knew....

It's been a while since I wrote a post on breastfeeding, and since this comprises much of my life, I should probably write more about it! I had plenty of time to think this morning at 5:30am when Gray was hungry and didn't quite wanna go back to sleep. The rocking chair is a good place for quiet thinking.

I made the decision to breastfeed Gray a few months before she was born. I didn't know anyone (except my grandparents) who had done it, so I was lacking guidance. Hubby and I took a class at the hospital and I read everything I could possibly find in my baby books and on the internet, which I now know is a great place to get really confused.

I wish I would have had a concise list of things I needed/didn't need and needed to know. So I'm making my own list and including the reasons why I'm including them.

What I Wish I Knew

Things you will need

Double electric breast pump (if going back to work)
Manual breast pump (for making bottles on the go)
Reusable nursing pads (don't get the disposables...they don't work great)
A few extra packs of bottles to pump into (This saves on the washing every night)
Extra set of pump flanges (also saves on the washing)
Lots of freezer bags (be optomistic that you'll  have a freezer stash)
Cleaning wipes (to help with cleaning parts at work)
2 nursing covers (one to keep in the diaper bag, and one for the car)
Gel soothies (for when you're dying from pain in those first few weeks)
Lanolin (there's nothing more painful than dry and bleeding skin)
Extra coolers and ice packs (just nice to have when traveling and pumping)

Things you will not need

Disposable nursing pads (they suck)
Nursing Bras (too much of a pain, just pull your normal one down or wear a sports bra)
Nursing Pillow (If you're small chested, you have to hold your baby. The pillow isn't high enough)
Extra covers for the nursing pillow (because you won't use it anyways)

And finally....my advice

Don't let people get you down. No matter how many people tell you formula is easier, do what's right for you and your baby. Formula is not easier...it's just more expensive.

Drink tons of liquids. I didn't and had a hard time for a few weeks. I now know the more I drank the better off I was in feeding Gray.

Don't freak out if you forgot pump parts or bottles on a shopping trip or outing. You have two built in bottles. Don't be afraid to use them in public.

Keep your nursing cover with you. I never nurse in public without it and have never gotten the side-eye from anyone about feeding my baby.

If it's hurting, readjust your baby and see if that helps. If not, switch sides. If you're not comfortable, chances are...they aren't either.

Gray has just started biting. If I had a dollar for everyone who told me that I would stop nursing when she got teeth I could quit my day job. Yeah...it hurts, but we are working through it. She's not used to having teeth either.


And finally....if anyone ever tells you that you should go to the bathroom to feed your baby....tell them that THEY can go to the bathroom and you'll stay right where you are. Thanks.

6 comments:

  1. Great post! I think everyone probably does have to figure out what works for them. You can read and read, but it's all really decided by you and your baby in action, huh. It always baffles me when people are so uptight over public nursing, especially with a cover, but you're so right...it's their problem! Great to find you through VoiceBoks!
    Courtney
    http://www.mommyladyclub.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello thanks for stopping by following you back

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous post!!! There are so many things I wish I would have known to! As well as a lot of things I wish I hadn't spent money on.
    I loved my nursing pillow because I set it behind my babies while they were learning to sit - my reflexes didn't need to be as fast that way! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. New follower from the I <3 Blogging Hop! Loved this post, especially the last part...I never understood why people have a problem with breastfeeding. I mean, of all things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this post! I breast fed my son until he was 2 and I've never regretted it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am exclusively pumping, and I love knowing the benefits my son is getting from my milk...but good LORD I hate to pump lol :) It's just frustrating...as you mentioned in another post, it gets frustrating having to plan trips--even simple ones--around when you need to feed/pump/etc...and waking up with wet bedsheets? Been there. Too many times. You know girls that do "trash the dress" parties for their wedding dresses? We should do a "trash the pump" party when it's all over! Haha! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...